Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Crashing -- Not a recommended training technique

So, a week ago I went for the long bike ride you can find in my training log.  It was a fun ride, but came with some unwanted excitement.  Actually, the excitement wasn't long lasting and wasn't of the good kind.

I went riding in "uncharted" territory.  Around the beltway on local streets until I got to a run/bike trail.  While doing my ride, I had a very good idea of where to go because of driving those streets.  I decided, however, that I wanted to try going through some residential streets rather than on the busy streets with no shoulders that were the major roads I could have taken.  Probably should have accepted the danger of traffic over the danger of a quiet neighborhood with no traffic, only squirrels.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was trying to get my bearings on these local streets, drifted into the curb cut and ended up head over heels across someone's driveway and onto their front lawn.  It was a stupid crash.  Shouldn't have ever happened.

Result was I jammed three fingers on my left hand.  Thumb, index, and ring finger.  Yeah, I know, weird.  So, at any rate, it put me out of commission on the bike and swim until this week.  Still today my hand aches and I can't really grip anything.  Fingers are still swollen but not as badly as they were last week.  Signing with my left hand is a joke.  Can't make handshapes that require me to make any kind of fist or pinching motions.  Also have to be careful about signing things that hit my left hand.

Anyway, back on the bike tomorrow morning and we will see how it goes.  Swimming today was ok for the hand and running isn't a problem so working hard to take advantage of the last few weeks before the race on July 10th.

No comments:

Post a Comment