Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Freaking Heart Rate!

So, I am using a book by Eric Harr called, "Triathlon Training in Four Hours a Week" as my guide for the training I am doing to prepare for the May 1st experiment in physical torture.  It is a huge advocate of training by heart rate zone and time rather than by distance traveled, laps completed, pedal cadence, etc.  So, like a dutiful student I went out and bought a heart rate monitoring system.  Bought a Timex Ironman Triathlon system.  It works great.  Too great.

Now, not only does my Wii tell me I am obese (ok, overweight, I have dropped some weight but I am still fuming about the obese thing, cut me some slack!) but now my watch tells me that looking longingly at a slice of pepperoni, green pepper, sausage, and mushroom pizza is an aerobic workout.  Pathetic.  Seriously, it is so bad that I am pushing Zone III (that's the aerobic training heart rate zone for those who aren't initiated) just from mopping the floor!

Here is my problem.  The book mentioned above has next to no workouts outlined that are in the Zone III and Zone IV areas.  If I walk briskly I am in Zone III.  Jogging, almost immediately into Zone IV.  So, I guess that means I am fat (according to Wii) and close to death because my heart rate is so pathetically high at doing menial tasks (according to Timex).  Thanks to technology I can now offically say I am fat and out of shape and have the data to back it up.  This sucks.  I can't pretend anymore.  However...

I have done some research and have determined that in order for me to change my fitness level.  I need to be working out in three different zones on a regular basis.  It seems that I need to burn fat by staying in Zone II, workout in Zone III to improve my "functional capacity," and make forays into Zone IV in order to really increase my fitness level.  So, Mr Harr, I am almost completely throwing your recommended zones out the window for now until I can actually increase my fitness enough that it makes sense to work out in Zone I and Zone II.  I realize I may be giving up the benefits of burning 85% of my calories from fat, from Zone II, but I really need to be fitter if I am going to have any pride when crossing the finish line.

Final thoughts.  The exercises that came with my heart rate monitor to determine max HR didn't work for me. I found out, one day, by running home from dropping the car to be serviced that I was able to get my HR up almost 10 points higher than I had it set before.  This was one of the reasons for my frustration over the zones.  I didn't feel like I was working out at all.  I am still not convinced that my max HR, while running, is 195.  I think it might be higher still.  Case in point, tonight on my run, Sam was riding her bike while I ran.  First half I worked hard to keep HR in Zone III (I coudn't keep it in Zone II for nothing) but was running out of time to pick up kids so just ran the second half back to the car.  I was pretty firmly in Zone IV but was able to carry on a conversation with Sam.  So, I don't know.

Anyway, tomorrow is another day and I am feeling pretty good about being very ready by May 1st.  But I may just worry more about increasing fitness by working out in Zone III, some IV, and less in Zone II.

Here's an article from one of the foremost experts in Heart Zone Training, Sally Edwards: http://www.howtobefit.com/five-heart-rate-zones.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment